Sunday, November 27, 2011

Rustic Fruit Turnovers



This Thanksgiving break has been a whirlwind, a wild rush of driving between San Marcos, Austin and the Houston area, trying to stay on top of our coursework in preparation of our approaching finals and fighting off a nasty chest cold. The drive was successful. Study time definitely happened. But I lost the war against this winter bug. Dirty freshman - they do this to me every year. I just want to spray them down with an antibacterial solution when they walk in the door.





So I was a miserable, whiney baby all Thanksgiving break. Luckily, I was within reach of my mom, who, since I've become a grown-up (relatively), will take any opportunity she can get to mother me. In my 20's I would have bitched about it. However, 30 has made me realize that the only person who will baby you is Mom. Few others care that much, so I took what I could get.





So Nurse Judy was at it, filling me with meds and fluids and feeling my forehead with the back of her hand. However, it did not stop her from tossing me in the kitchen to make a tarte tatin for Thanksgiving. I guess the babying only goes so far. :/



But I had Brett's help - and Commie's attempts to help.






Not a shabby Thanksgiving. Except I'm still trying to shake this chest cold. So it's off to bed with me, water and leftover desserts in tow. 

I'm a grown woman after all... I can baby myself.



Turnovers



1 1/2 cup flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 stick of butter, cubed
6 to 8 tbsps of ice water
fruit and spices for filling
1 egg, well beaten
extra sugar for exterior

To make the dough, put the flour, sugar and butter in your food processor and stick in the freezer for about 15 minutes. You want the butter to be super cold, as well as the blade and the container. Pulse until the butter is pea-sized and then slowly add in the water until you form a loose ball.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Work the dough quickly over flour with a rolling pin. I had cut out what I needed for the tarte tatin, and used the leftover dough for the turnovers. Cut into squares or triangles or whatever shape you want and fill with a few apple slices, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg (or your favorite spices) and seal the edges with a fork.

Paint the turnovers with the egg if you want them to be on the glossy, golden-brown side.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the crust is a nice golden color and the apples are soft. Then tuck in!

2 comments: