Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dutch Pancake


With grad school now in full swing, my diet has taken a turn for the worst. I never have time to cook, and if it weren't for Brett being the best house-husband on the planet, I don't think I'd eat anything at all. Chez Brett has been serving up pulled-pork, homemade pink lemonade ice cream and all the tacos a girl could want.

At some point I'll get him to actually write down a recipe and do a little guest post. Don't hold your breath though. My fella's a sweetheart, but does take any kind of direction very well.

When I do get a chance to cook though, it seems like all I'm making these days are Dutch pancakes. One, because they're wicked easy and two, because they're awesome and versatile.

We've had ham and cheese Dutch pancakes, pear and honey, apple and blueberry syrup, a failed attempt at banana-chocolate that came out a little to eggy (but still delicious).

If I can whip these up after a 7 hour day doing advanced mathematics, brain-dead and exhausted, I think that earns it a fool-proof stamp. So give this one a shot and let me know what your favorite fixin's are.


Dutch Pancake



4 eggs
1 c. milk
2/3 c. flour
1/2 stick butter, melted
3 tbsp. sugar
Vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine ingredients in your standing mixer. In an oven safe skillet, pour in batter and bake for 35 minutes.

If you want, peel, core and slice a pear or apple and place in the skillet before pouring in the batter. The fruit should be all soft and warm and awesome by the time the pancake is done.

Top with powdered sugar or honey or fruit or whipped cream or... Anything really. Nom Nom Nom.

Going savory? Cook up your meats or veggies in a bit of butter in your skillet before pouring in the batter. I recommend sprinkling cheese on top or mixing with the batter.

2 comments:

  1. Your Dutch pancakes look better than the ones I had as a Netherlander! I like to make mine with custard and fruit or pecans and maple syrup - like a Danish pastry rolled in. :)

    ReplyDelete