Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mashed Greens


I've been a bad food blogger. Ready for a laundry list of excuses?

TAing for a Pre-Calculus class takes more time than I thought.
The Math Lab has been oddly slammed since the beginning of this semester.
Topology and Modern Algebra homework is nothing to sniff at.
I'm so broke I ate the package of ramen that's been sitting in my pantry for over a year.
I've been too busy watching Star Trek: TNG. All of it.
I'm addicted to Netflix.
I cannot muster the energy to give a single shit about my sink of dirty dishes.
My dog ate my cookbook.

Are you full of excuses yet? I hope so - at least enough to tide you over until I can rustle up something a little more appetizing.

But if you still have some room left, try working caramelized onions and a thawed package of frozen spinach into your next batch of mashed potatoes. With a little sour cream (or a lot) and some crushed red pepper for garnish, it'll stick to your ribs.


Still hungry? Try Deb's Strawberry Summer Cake. Best. Breakfast. Ever.
And she actually updates regularly. :/




Mashed Greens



4 large potatoes, peeled and cooked
1 medium red onion, sauteed
2 tbsp butter
1/4 c. milk
1 bag frozen spinach, thawed
salt & pepper
sour cream
red pepper flakes

After you've cooked your potatoes and onions, mash together with the butter, milk, salt and pepper. While the potatoes are still hot, blend in the spinach. How much you blend is up to you - but I like to make it mixed in enough that the spinach is hardly recognizable.

Top with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with red pepper flakes. Eat immediately, and in large quantities.

2 comments:

  1. I am a poor law student. This just became my dinner for the next year, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! If there is one demographic I'm willing to support, it's the starving student - especially if they can defend me should I do something really stupid. :)

    ReplyDelete